incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:40:42 GMT
On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:54 AM, Recordon, David wrote:

> This has obviously been something we've been looking at in order to do
> our own due diligence on XRI IPR before being willing to contribute
> the
> Yadis spec to be incorporated into XRI Resolution 2.0.

That's great, but I wasn't just concerned about the XRI IPR.
I understand Yadis and OpenID technology to the extent that it
uses the existing URI infrastructure.  I see no reason for either
technology to use XRIs.  However, just to be clear, I don't make
technical decisions for other projects (just my own) -- my only
concerns right now are that the stated scope of the proposed project
is accurate and that Apache will have the legal right to redistribute
whatever is contributed.

Have all the individuals and companies with products that are included
in this proposal looked at the CCLA text and agreed to participate on
that basis?  The reason I ask is because some have not agreed to do so
in the past and we have had some optimistic proposers that wait until
after the proposal is approved before actually getting buy-in
from the supposed contributors.  This is fairly important in this
case because the URI-based identity proposals do fit well with
Apache development philosophy, whereas XRI and OASIS does not IMO.

If everyone is on board and understands the software grant/CLA
conditions, then this seems to me to be a worthwhile project for
the incubator.

....Roy