incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Jini Project
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:38:38 GMT
On Jun 20, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2006, at 7:15 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>> This proposal seeks to create a project within the Apache Software
>> Foundation to continue the development and advancement of Jini
>> technology. It has broad backing from the Jini Community, and
>> includes core developers from Sun Microsystems (original developer
>> of the technology) as well as Community technical leaders.
>
> This is very cool. Who controls the Jini spec, out of curiosity?
>
> -Brian

Thanks Brian.

Currently the specs are controlled by our community process, "The
Jini Community Decision Process (JDP)". Details can be found at
<http://jini.org/jdp/>.

Right now we're leaning towards moving the specs into the Apache
project (if accepted), and having them controlled by the
PMC/committers of the project. This would replace the JDP's role
in controlling changes to the specs. The whole of the Jini Community
would still have a strong influence in what happens with the specs
(through the Apache project aliases, etc), and for those in the
Community wanting to get involved in a more substantive way, they
have the opportunity to become a committer/be on the PMC.

It's still somewhat of an open issue and is being discussed
right now in the Jini Community.

-Jim