incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Jini Project
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:16:52 GMT
On Jun 21, 2006, at 1:56 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> +1 (as in "will help").
> From the text below and the comments in
> <http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=jini-
> users&F=&S=&P=4029>,
> I assume that the scope of the project will just be the core
> infrastructure.  But you also mention "related utilities and tools."
> Can you clarify a little more how the scope is defined?
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil.  :-)

The "related utilities and tools" abstract the core infrastructure
to make it easier for developers to build Jini clients and services.
The ones we are specifically referring to are currently provided in
the "Jini Technology Starter Kit", which contains contributed
implementations
of Jini technology infrastructure services, as well as supporting
helper classes, and other services including JavaSpaces technology.

An example of a helper utility is "JoinManager", which is a utility
class
that performs all of the functions related to discovery, joining,
service
lease renewal, and attribute management that the Jini programming model
requires of a well-behaved service. See:
<http://java.sun.com/products/jini/2.1/doc/specs/html/joinutil-
spec.html>

Therefore, we are trying to define the scope of the project as
Jini technology core infrastructure software, including the
implementation of Jini specs, related utilities and tools.

HTH.

-Jim