incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <>
Subject Re: [incubator docathon] podling proposal template
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:57:37 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
 > here's a basic outltine. please dive in and post comments, annotations,
> corrections, enhancements. i'll pull together a document from the consensus
> 0. Rationale
> 0.1 Criteria
> Meritocracy:
> Community:
> Core Developers:
> Alignment:

I think it's important to stress that above criteria should describe *the
current situation* of the project being proposed and not some lofty ideal
goals/boilerplate statements lest we always come with gems like:

Apache was chosen for an incubator primarily because of the guidance the
community can provide."

which are completely unhelpful.

> 0.2 Warning signs
> Orphaned products:
> Inexperience with open source:
> Homogenous developers:
> Reliance on salaried developers:
> No ties to other Apache products:
> A fascination with the Apache brand:

I personnally have an issue with the above warning sign. It's a very
important one but no proposer (unless they are terminally stupid) will write
that they want to be incubated mainly because they like the Apache brand.
I think all these warning signs should not (and actually can't meaningfully)
be filled out by the proposed project.
They need to give us the information weneed to evaluate the project against
those criteria/warning signs but can't really give us a ready answer.

Raphaël Luta -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message