incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David N. Welton" <dav...@dedasys.com>
Subject Re: Branding of Incubator projects
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:59:37 GMT
[ Hi, this message doesn't seem to be going through - I'd appreciate it
if you'd forward it on, or quote it in a reply, in the hope that
whatever is causing mail problems sorts itself out today.  Thanks! ]

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Podlings are, by definition, not yet fully accepted as part of the
> Apache Software Foundation. Therefore, they are subject to additional
>  branding constraints.

> 1. The podling MUST be referred to as "Apache <Podling>"

If you take the 'view from 10000 feet up', this just doesn't clarify
things at all.  I think it would be simpler and clearer to not allow
people to utilize the term Apache until the project is fully integrated
into Apache.  Starting to use the term 'Apache' also makes it more
difficult for people to back out, which shouldn't actually be a "bad"
thing, nor difficult for them or us.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/