incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Jini Project
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:28:10 GMT
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>> I guess this means keeping jini.org around for a long time to come, and I think
>> this means you need a name for "jini@apache" which is not "jini" :)
>
> Could you expand on why you think that?  Thanks.

Maybe it is also good to emphasis that Jini is a technology and not an
end-product. Sun provides an end-product called the JTSK (Jini
Technology Starter Kit) that is an aggregation of what is described in
the Jini Architecture
(http://java.sun.com/products/jini/2.0.2/doc/specs/html/jini-spec.html)
and that implements many of the community approved standards.

I've no idea yet about the deliverables we end up with, but I assume
these will be released under a different product name. So I think one
should see the name Jini on par with e.g. the XML TLP that aggregates
many XML related technologies.
--
Mark