incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Jini Project
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:13:47 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 19:19, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> What I'm missing is an idea of the interaction between jini.org and this
>> proposed new apache project, and an idea of the interaction between the JCP
>> process and the apache project. Eg is the apache project a (reference?)
>> implementation of a bunch of JCP specs managed through jini.org (in which
>> case I'd say it needs a new name), is it a 'full' move from jini.org to
>> jini.apache.org, or something else?
>
> It has been discussed that jini.org will serve as a "information portal", with
> links to docs, specs, implementations, the starter kit, and so forth.
> The Apache project will first be the center of coding of the starter kit, and
> other useful generic tools.

Additionally, user projects currently on jini.org are, in many cases,
going to move over to dev.java.net.

In respect of the starter kit there's some discussion about just which
audience it should be targetted at (new user, experienced user etc) and
whether there might be more than one "deliverable" from the project
(it's even possible the "starter kit" is housed on jini.org given the
intentions re: new users whilst the core tools, frameworks etc might be
on apache).

Best,

Dan.