incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New committers
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:14:11 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I think the initial decision was that a PPMC was not necessary as the code was
> just going to be imported into the MyFaces project.  Therefore, the MyFaces PMC
> is responsible for executing the duties that a PPMC would normally do.
>
> Perhaps we need to clarify these types of situations.  What have we done for
> mod_ftp, for example?  My glance at the status page says that there isn't a
> PPMC either.  So, I'd guess pmc@httpd would control adding new committers to
> it.  I guess...
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?  Any other examples?  -- justin

For Derby we had a PPMC which was useful for personnel discussions. On
graduation responsbility was transferred to the DB PMC.

On Tuscany we don't have a PPMC or other private forum - we've added
committers so far based on adhoc discussions. I think that is
problematic as it provides no visibility to either the Incubator or
WebServices PMCs on how those decisions are being made.

I think it would be a good idea for every podling to have such a forum
so that the committers involved can become familiar with Apache's way
and so that the IPMC can perform its oversight role. This also provides
new committers with exposure to PMC responsibilities which is valuable
if the podling graduates into an existing project and essential if it
exits as a TLP.

--
Jeremy