incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Incubator artifacts and repositories
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:03:56 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>

>> As I see it, it comes down to a choice of having the user configure
>> his pom with either
>>

>>  1) an artifact id or group id or version id that
>>     includes "incubator" in it.
>> or
>>  2) a repository id that include "incubator" in it.
>>

> Or, as I see it, both.  Since the artifacts are not captive to the
> repository, they should carry their own label, too.
>
> This is not a hardship for projects.  As you note, #1 is what projects
> already do today, and once you've setup the build script properly, it is a
> done deal.  And, yes, consistency in placement would be nice.  We'll try to
> help that out with some project templates for Maven and Ant.
>
> The idea that having a separate Incubator repository could reduce work
> because "when the podling needs to graduate since dependent projects would
> not need to change artifact ids" is not necessarily a good thing.
> Distinguishing between what was put out during Incubation and what was put
> out post-Incubation is a good thing.

Distinguishing these artifacts is a good thing.  I'm not sure that this
mandates a separate incubating maven repo.  IIUC, option 1 covers this
nicely if we put the word inclubator in the version number, e.g.

group id: org.apache.yoko
artifact id: yoko-core
version: 1.0-incubator-M1

Just trying to keep things simple.