incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira>
Subject Re: 'public name'
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:19:26 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 6/11/06, Jim Jagielski <> wrote:
>> Their "real" legal name is only used in cases where it is actually
>> legally required. In all other cases, we use their private
>> name. This is even the case for things like the member
>> attendance records of the foundation, etc...
> In short, I think that the person should sign the iCLA with their legal
> name
> (so that it can be bound by force of law) and then note on the iCLA that
> all
> references to this person should be under 'X'.  (Only Jim will see this -
> everyone else will see 'X'.)
> FWIW, we have at least one ASF member who uses another name than what their
> 'legal' name is.  (N.B. I'm fairly sure that he follows this list - if so,
> he can chime in.)
> So, it's not a problem for us - until as Jim pointed out, we have to
> disclose it - which generally means you're an Officer and at that point,
> all
> bets are off as to your privacy...  -- justin

I am, I suspect, the person in question. As you might guess, Upayavira
isn't my legal name, but the one I was given when ordained as a Buddhist.

I signed an iCLA with my legal name, and for-warned Jim that I would
prefer to be known as Upayavira. He was able to store the ICLA with my
legal name, and record the ICLA in iclas.txt using my preferred name.

I don't know if that is precisely what is desired by this particular
individual though.

Regards, Upayavira

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: