incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Various
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:34:16 GMT

On Jun 23, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Hani Suleiman wrote:

> If Apache people feel that my technical abilities are not relevant,
> and that what should matter in whether I am allowed in as a cxfire
> committer is how willing I am to tow the party line, then I
> shouldn't be on that list. Apache would be the first organisation
> I've joined (or might have joined) that did not judge me on
> technical merit; quite an irony considering the whole meritocracy
> approach that Apache claims. This is, astoundingly, my first
> experience of being judged not on technical merit, but on random
> blathering that serves no particular purpose than ranting for
> ranting's sake.

To be honest, technical merit counts not a bit, if the
person is so disruptive to the community as to stagnate
or destroy the communal, collaborative nature central
to the ASF.

So, to be blunt, we would prefer someone with "adequate"
skills who gets along with people and works well
with people rather than a top-notch code monkey who is
a super prick.

And no, I'm not implying that you are one of those
at all. Just making a point.