incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Withdrawing Kabuki from Apache Incubator
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:21:24 GMT
Hi Andy,

Thanks for being frank and open. Changing your mind can
be such a hard thing to do, and changing the minds of
lots of people is even harder.

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 02:55:56PM -0700, Andy Clark wrote:
> Thanks for your extreme patience in the matter of
> the proposed Kabuki contribution to the Apache
> Incubator.
> we have made the difficult decision to
> withdraw Kabuki from consideration for incubation
> at Apache.
> For anyone that is either frustrated or concerned
> by this decision, please feel free to contact the
> President and CTO of Zimbra, Scott Dietzen[2], as
> he made the ultimate decision and he would like to
> understand your concerns.

One nitpick: I can see how the decision Scott makes is
to not donate code to the ASF on behalf of Zimbra (or
himself) and not execute any grants and the like. But
the President of a company does not decide to stop the
incubation of an apache project. The incubating
community does that (and I take the "we" in the rest of
your message above to be that community), or perhaps the
Incubator PMC. Of course the point is kinda moot since
the idea was to start Kabuki with a donation from Zimbra
and it seems there's not all that much of a Kabuki
community right now, but its only "kinda" moot, and not
completely :)

cheers!

LSD