incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Contributing and Starting A New Project With Apache
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 21:04:16 GMT
Hi,

My understanding is that the Apache incubator accepts outside
projects if they are already in a working shape and have a developer
and user community around them (although I think the community part
is something that is not a condition for entering the incubator, but
is required for graduation, as is often the case with open sourced
commercial products).

For the list of criteria that the incubator looks at you may browse
through existing accepted proposals:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

As for how you can start, you may register a project on SourceForge
or a similar free open source dev site and start developing it there
using Apache license. This is the most straightforward way to learn
how the open source process works and to build a community around the
code.

Also I think you did the right thing posting your idea here, as this
way you may find supporters from within Apache.

Cheers,
Andrus