incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Contributing and Starting A New Project With Apache
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 15:01:59 GMT

> Andrus, I beleive that ObjectStyle may also help in hosting this
> project as well. Will you share some information related to the same.

Yeah, ObjectStyle is in need of a web site that better explains how
we work (I will be updating the site soon). We are small and don't
have big donors, as a result we can host only a limited number of
projects, so we usually accept new projects via referral from our
current committers. Also an established outside project can come on
board if it has some synergy with the existing projects and/or has
demonstrated its authors commitment to continuing development (i.e.
we need some proof that it won't be abandoned).

> Again, thank you all for the support. In case you need to conatct
> me keep on communicating me in this id. Also you may advice me of
> any process steps, which will make the approval in sourceforge faster.

You have to have patience with them. I don't think any steps on your
end can accelerate the process. Just wait a few more days.

> Lastly to apologize of my ignorance about how open source works, I
> really need to learn from all of you.

Not a problem. The understanding comes in the process. Mostly this is
common sense - build some internet presence (create a web site) so
that interested users have a place to come, use a public code
repository, use mailing lists to build community, "release often,
release early" so that users can try your stuff. Beyond that - be
creative ;-)

Good Luck
Andrus