incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Craeg Strong" <cstr...@nyc.saic.com>
Subject RE: XAP (Extensible Ajax Platform) Proposal
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 16:48:05 GMT
One more point:

XAP is to JavaScript as

Ant is to Perl/Shell scripting

Developers feel comfortable using and modifying Ant scripts.
XSLT (or other technologies) can be used to generate Ant scripts on the
fly.
Build Documentation and GUIs can be generated from Ant scripts easily.
Etc.

Declarative technology works.  XML is the lingua franca today (like it
or hate it) and enjoys tool support.

That is the reason something like XAP is a good idea.

My 2c,

--Craeg

-----Original Message-----
From: general-return-8865-cstrong=nyc.saic.com@incubator.apache.org
[mailto:general-return-8865-cstrong=nyc.saic.com@incubator.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Craeg Strong
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:42 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: XAP (Extensible Ajax Platform) Proposal

I am on a project building a time and attendance/work force management
system for a user base of 100K+

We put together a technology much like XAP.

It allowed us to replace a team of 8 JSP programmers with two GUI
developers + 1 information architect.  No one else on the team (35 devs)
knows Javascript.

At one point, we produced 100 "new" (radically redesigned) highly
complex interactive screens in 3 months.

All cosmetic/functional changes are instantly propagated to each of our
~300 screens via the code-generation design (XSLT).

Hope this helps,

--Craeg