incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubator to sponsor and accept Abdera for incubation
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 02:04:48 GMT
On 5/31/06, Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote:
> This proposal seems to have generated a lot of geniune interest, so now
> I'm calling for a vote for the Incubator to formally accept it.
>
> A few editorial comments: at this point, I have little doubt that this
> codebase will attract a diverse and sustainable community.  My concern
> is now the reverse: seeing talks of Rome join in and there being talk of
> these two merging with Roller... seems both very exciting... as well a
> bit premature.
>
> In my mind, the best way to find out what shape the community will take
> is to watch it incubate.  Therefore, I'd like to explicitly propose that
> we neither predetermine nor rule out any possible destination for this.
>  It could become a TLP.  It could merge with Rome and/or other feed
> libraries, if they get proposed to the ASF.  It could all get subsumed
> into Roller.  My initial concerns are, respectively, critical mass,
> potentially divergent goals, and Umbrella -- each, of course, could be
> addressed/mitigated, that's why I am recommendating that we defer this
> decision until we have had a chance to observe the community.  (Note:
> this is not a new idea, I've suggested it on number of occasions before).
>
> With all that said, here's my
>
>   +1

I agree that there are numerous issues that will need to be worked out
as time goes on, primarily with regard to project scope, but that can
be worked out in the future.  It seems clear that there is enough
interest for us to do SOMETHING in this space, and the details will
depend on the actual community that grows up around this project.

So likewise, +1 from me.

-garrett