incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: STATUS files in podling release
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 15:29:39 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 5/27/06, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 5/27/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> > Is STATUS appropriate to be bundled in the release?
>> >

>> I had the same question relating to the Tuscany release. In general I
>> don't think it should as STATUS reflects the state of the project
>> rather than the code being distributed and technical matters can be
>> covered in some form of release notes (e.g. README). However, during
>> incubation, the state of the podling is more likely to be a material
>> factor for potential users so I would suggest that requiring it to be
>> included should be part of incubator policy.
>

> +1
>
> If others agree I'll volunteer to update the incubator site to reflect
> that.

I assume we are discussing the status HTML file generated from
each podling's XML template and not the XML itself, or some
third document. I.e., this file (to use stdcxx as an example):
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stdcxx.html

FWIW, I see very little on these pages that's relevant (or even
terribly meaningful) to anyone but the incubator so I'm not sure
what the average user would get out of it.

In addition, isn't there material on these pages that projects
are normally not permitted to distribute (except without the
explicit permission of the board: e.g., the feather)? If it
became a requirement for podlings to distribute such material
how would it it affect this usual restriction, and what impact
would it have on third parties wanting to re-distribute these
releases? I.e., would it become necessary to remove all such
non-distributable material before re-distributing a tarball?
How would the third party know where to look?

If it is felt that it is important to distribute the status
with the release wouldn't it be easier to include a link
pointing at the status web page from within the podling's
README?

Martin