incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] XAP (Extensible Ajax Platform) Proposal (was XAP (Extensible Ajax Platform) Proposal)
Date Sun, 21 May 2006 15:50:52 GMT
Coach Wei wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>Before voting, I just have one (set of) question:
>>
>>Where's the source code ?
>>Does it actually exist as a standalone, downloadable entity ?
>>Is it possible to assess its current status before voting ?
>>

> We are still a few days away from completing our due diligence process
> on the initial code base before being able to license it all under the
> Apache-compatible License.  Once this process finishes up, we will be able
> to make the code available (or check it in to svn if the proposal
> is approved).  I wish this process would have already been done by now,
> but it's important to us to be 100% certain that there are no surprises
> with the IP.
>
> I was under the impression that a review of the code base was not a
> requirement for incubation, especially since the code base could
> significantly change as soon as others are involved with it -- remember,
> this isn't about keeping the code the way it is now -- it's
> about using it as a jumping off point for whatever is the best cross-browser,
> declarative Ajax framework we all can come up with.

AFAIK, a code review is not a requirement but it *is* usual practice to provide
a code drop along the proposal when the code is not public yet.

The IP work can be done after incubation is accepted. I was just trying to get a
sense of the current maturity of the projet: is it working/functional, how full
featured, etc... The fact that no demo is available makes me think it's probably
not fully usable yet.
It's not a problem for incubation but it sure is nice to know beforehand.

> However, if I was wrong about that, I'll understand if the vote needs to wait
> until the due diligence is completed.  In any case, I can provide
> anyone whatever details they would like about the shape of the code
> base now.  For instance, the project currently consists of about 8000 to 10000
> lines of Javascript, a few thousand lines of unit tests, plus over 10000 lines
> of library files.

10k lines of Javascript in addition to whatever toolkit
you're using (Dojo, etc..) !?
<me>wonders where all the web *lightweight* clients have gone... </me>

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/