incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubator PMC to approve 3.0-M1 release of ServiceMix
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:05:33 GMT
I am really confused by the reaction to this. I don't see any reason to
be puzzled or upset.  I don't want to make this a bigger issue than it
is, but:

1. The project is incubating and this is the first time its done an
Apache release. There are a lot of check boxes that need to be checked
to make Apache happy. Overlooking a NOTICE file that almost no one looks
at doesn't seem like that big of a jump to me. With an M1 release, I
think everyone was a bit more worried whether the damn thing worked at
all. As we move toward a .0 release things will certainly get more
cleaned up.

2. Incubating release don't need to conform to Apache policy as far as I
understand it. Only to whats outlined in the release section [1]. Thats
why Roller can release with LGPL dependencies. So in this light, the
NOTICE file shouldn't be a hold up, no? Only -incubator instead of
-incubating can.

And, at the risk of being hypocrytical here, can we keep commentary to a
minimum? -1, +1, suggestions, and informing that requirements aren't met
is great, but there doesn't seem to be a need to stir things up with how
you feel a particular project is doing its job.

Regards,

- Dan

1. http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:59:30PM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> Bill Stoddard is correct in his understanding of
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases.  The
>> fact that other people have voted +1 without verifying that the release
>> adheres to Incubator policy is a bit disturbing, but that's why we have
>> multiple sets of eyes on these things.
>>

> More than a bit, if you ask me. People even asking for a vote for a release
> without a NOTICE file is like, seriously messed up. What is going on around
> here lately?
>
> LSD, puzzled(tm)

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions