incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: Contributing Code
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:52:16 GMT
Be careful when putting code from an outside source into the ASF code base.
You might want to check with the incubator folks (I cc'ed them on this
message) about this.  I would think that any code that is "donated" would
need to have the appropriate accompanying forms filled out, even if it is
just donated to an existing project.

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Grobmeier [mailto:grobmeier@possessed.de]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 8:16 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: Contributing Code

Hi,

> I am interested in contributing code to commons.  I wrote a
> ModifiableZip class, that basically implements all the methods on
> ZipFile, but provides new methods for adding, removing and modifying
> entries in an existing zip file.
> The basics work, but it is still a bit rough around the edges.  I need
> to do a bit more work on
>    1)  Getting the proper apis
>    2)  Changing package names + general refactoring
>    3)  Making sure there is less duplication between what I have and
> what is implemented in compress (there are common elements in
> org.apache.commons.compress.ZipOutputStream that I feel we could share)
>    4)  Filling in some of the smaller bits like file attributes, etc.
>    5)  There are some other known bugs
>
> I thought it made sense to contribute this now, and apply patches, since
> I figured this could be useful to the VFS folks, and thought it might be
> able to go into Compress, in which case being able to get feedback and
> requirements from the communities earlier (rather than later) will be
> useful.

this is great. I am doing work on compress at the moment, if you like i
send you the current code via email (i am not a comitter too). I will
check out your code and will try to put it into my current
implementation. It would be great if we could do this stuff together.

> The zip file is
> http://sandbox.sourcelabs.com/willpugh/myzip_contribution.zip
>
> I'm not an Apache committer.  Should this be going through the incubator
> first?

IMHO not- it's just a enhancement to a allready incubatet codebase.
But i am not an expert on this stuff, so somebody please correct me if i
am writing bullshit.

Cheers,
Chris.

>   Thanks,
>   --Will

- --
Christian Grobmeier
Possessed Management
Hurlacher Str. 5 - 86853 Langerringen - Germany
E-Mail: grobmeier@possessed.de
Mobil: +(49)(0)175 57 66830
Fax: +(49) (0)8232 959119
Web: http://www.possessed.de