incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:11:30 GMT
On 3/8/06, Yoav Shapira <> wrote:
> Hola,
> > it's easy to get good open source coders: it's much harder to find
> > good documentors who are willing to contribute to open source
> > projects. demand for good documentation is always high but supply is
> > typically low. i'm willing to cut good documentors much more slack
> > than coders.
> Hypothetically, does slack == commit privileges, or do we want to set
> the bar for committership higher?
> If Joe Q. Random emailed us saying he thinks [some currently in
> incubation project] is great and he's a technical writer and would
> like commit access so that he can write up the docs for it, would he
> get that access?  Probably not,

i'd say: submit a patch :)

given enough good patches, i'd nominate them

> but the difference here is that the
> proposed documentors and QA people are already part of the team, so
> they're not random...
> I also suppose we can always review the status of documentation and
> test cases at the end of incubation, see who did what, and accordingly
> adjust the commiter list during incubator graduation?

isn't this really an issue about the bootstrapping committer lists?

should there be any difference between a coder who hasn't hacked a
line and a documentor who hasn't written a word?

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message