incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:23:49 GMT
Patrick Linskey wrote:

> > Would it make sense for this to go in DB or Jakarta, then?
> Certainly Jakarta's Java-catch-all nature makes it a natural place for
> Open JPA. DB makes some sense too, given that Open JPA is about talking
> to databases.

Jakarta's "java-catch-all" nature is a major reason for why Jakarta is in
the middle of a long process of being dismantled.  Catch-all, or "umbrella",
projects are considered bad things.

That said, one of thing things that the ASF needs to look at is how to
improve communication across projects.  Project boundaries are
administrative, but as we disband umbrella projects, we are losing
communication within ontological domains that cross administative
boundaries.  Resolving that is an unresolved issue.  Perhaps having some
ontological mailing lists would be part of a solution.  A subject for
another thread ...

> I don't think that Geronimo is the right place for Open JPA,
> as it's useful and currently used both in and out of a J2EE
> container.

Ah, whew!  Someone who actually gets it!  :-)

	--- Noel