incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:33:17 GMT

On Mar 10, 2006, at 8:58 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Saturday 11 March 2006 03:21, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>> Which is a really long-winded way of saying: At graduation,
>> maybe it's worthwhile to see whether the podling committers
>> actually earned any Apache merit.
>
> Agree. That would also allow for a lot lower bar at the start of
> podlings
> without flooding ASF with inactive committers.
> However, it may be hard to quantify an "exclusion", and we may see
> people
> making commits just for the sake of "passing" which may not be
> "merit".

I think that the PPMC already has to deal with people issues
(meritocracy isn't free) and I would trust the PPMC to do the right
thing at graduation. After all, one of the major graduation
requirements is that the podling community "get it" and a big piece
of "getting it" is that the committers have earned their karma rights.

Bottom line, I think there's merit in adding a graduation requirement
on the PPMC to review the committer list and use their judgement as
to which of the initial committers has earned the right to continue.

Craig