incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject [VOTE] accept Cayenne into incubator
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:31:58 GMT
I'd like to call a vote on our incubator proposal. There hasn't been
any negative feedback so far, we found mentors, and we are eager to
move ahead with the process.

See the latest proposal text below.

Andrus

Cayenne Incubator Proposal
Section 0 : Rationale

Cayenne is an open source component-oriented persistence framework
licensed under the Apache License, providing object-relational
mapping (ORM) and remoting services. With a wealth of unique and
powerful features, Cayenne can address a wide range of persistence
needs. Cayenne seamlessly binds one or more database schemas directly
to Java objects, managing atomic commit and rollbacks, SQL
generation, joins, sequences, and more. With Cayenne's Remote Object
Persistence, those Java objects can even be persisted out to clients
via Web Services. Or, with native XML serialization, objects can be
even further persisted to non-Java clients - such as an Ajax-capable
browser. In addition to this existing functionality, Cayenne is
currently building a JPA-compatible persistence provider (JSR-220).

In 2001, Cayenne was started as an open source collaborative
environment, modeled after ASF. Thus, proposing Cayenne as an ASF
project is the logical next step to further expand the community and
increase participation.
Section 0.1 : Criteria

     * Meritocracy: The project is and will contiue to be
meritocratic, in accordance with the usual Apache meritocracy standards.

     * Community: Cayenne has a substantial, long-established user
and developer community. Two mailing lists receive up to 500 messages
per month, and the Jira bug tracker (shared with one other
ObjectStyle.org project) has 230 registered users.

     * Core Developers: Andrus Adamchik (founder), Cris Daniluk,
Michael Gentry, Tore Halset, Mike Kienenberger, Kevin Menard, Eric
Schneider

     * Alignment: We propose Cayenne as a TLP within the ASF,
sponsored by the Incubator TLP.

     * License: Cayenne is currently licensed under the Apache
License 1.1, with the intention of switching to Apache License 2.0.

Section 0.2 : Warning Signs

     * Orphaned Software: Cayenne has a high volume of development
activity. On a release date, our freshmeat.net "vitality rating" is
typically #15-20, out of over 40000 registered projects.

     * Experience With Open Source: Cayenne was started as an open
source project in 2001 and has remained so for 5 years.

     * Homogenous Developers: Most of the current active committers
met each other through the Cayenne community. None work for the same
company.

     * Reliance on salaried developers: There is not a single Cayenne
committer who is compensated for their efforts - we are a 100%
volunteer project.

     * No Ties to Other Apache Products: Cayenne itself uses a number
of Apache libraries, such as commons-*, velocity, log4j. Cayenne
integrates with Derby and has Struts and Tapestry examples. Our user
community overlaps with Tapestry and the MyFaces communities to some
extent. We are planning to contribute a JPA provider to Geronimo, and
have already taken some steps to work with the OpenEJB project, who
will be providing JSR-220 implementation to Geronimo. We are open to
collaboration and finding synergies with other Apache projects (e.g.,
those that require an Apache-licensed ORM).

     * Achieving the Apache Brand is a Prominent Goal: As indicated
elsewhere in this proposal, Cayenne was founded with many of the same
fundamental goals of ASF, regarding meritocracy and community
building, and it has been licensed under Apache License. We remain
committed to these goals as we move to ASF.

Section 1 : Scope of the project

Cayenne presently consists of an Object-Relational Mapping framework
(ORM), a Swing Toolset for ORM and Swing bindings, an early version
of an XML serialization framework and a Remote Object Persistence
framework. We have started an effort to provide a full Cayenne-based
implementation of the Java Persistence API, compliant with JSR-220
(aka EJB3).
Section 2 : Initial source from which the project is to be populated

Current Cayenne sources at http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/
Section 3: Identify the ASF resources to be created
Section 3.1 : Mailing Lists

     * cayenne-dev
     * cayenne-user
     * cayenne-scm
     * cayenne-ppmc

     * need to import lists of subscribers from current ezmlm
ObjectStyle.org lists.

Section 3.2: SVN Repositories

     * cayenne (need to import current CVS)

Section 3.3: Issue Tracking

     * Need a new Jira project called CAYENNE.
     * Need to import current issues from ObjectStyle.org Jira

Section 4: Identify the Initial Set of Committers
ASF Committers

     * Mike Kienenberger (MyFaces PMC - apache user id 'mkienenb')

Non-ASF Committers

     * Andrus Adamchik
     * Cris Daniluk
     * Michael Gentry
     * Tore Halset
     * Kevin Menard
     * Eric Schneider

Section 5: Identify ASF Sponsor

     * Sponsor: Incubator PMC
     * Mentors:
           o Jim Jagielski
           o Brian McCallister

     * Non-member ASF committers who volunteered to help with the
incubation:
           o Bill Dudney
           o Thomas Dudziak

Section 6: Open Issues for Discussion