incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:35:36 GMT
Hi Tom,

I think we might have a better chance at unifying these disparate
code bases if they are all in one place. And I think that DB might be
just the place.

For the record, the Apache JDO project has no ORM engine. It has the
testing infrastructure for ORM and it has the JDO specification API,
but no implementation. So having a good JDO implementation is a
project (like your OBJ/EJB3 project) that hasn't begun, and we're
looking for a good base to start from.

In particular, each of the persistence APIs has a front end (user
API), a back end (the actual object-to-SQL grind), integration (app
servers, web servers, Java SE), and tools. A hundred flowers have
bloomed and I'd like to see more synergy.

That's why I like the idea of Cayenne in DB and would also like to
see OpenJPA in DB as well.