incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ and ServiceMix reports
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:13:25 GMT

On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>
>> If the ActiveMQ / ServiceMix community do decide to go under some
>> other TLP,  I'm sure it would not take long for the active
>> participants of the community to asked to Join the TLP's PMC.
>
> I would certainly hope that they would want to be, yes.  Hence ...
>
>> I believe that merging ActiveMQ and Servicemix into Geronimo
>> community and PMC is easier than most cases since there are
>> all ready several active ActiveMQ/ServiceMix commiters thar
>> are Geronimo PMC members.
>
> At this moment, Geronimo has 19 PMC members and 7 commmiters who
> are not on
> the PMC.  That does, of course, change over time.
>
> The overlap of ActiveMQ and ServiceMix with the Geronimo PMC has 10
> PMC
> members.  ActiveMQ has 13 additional people who are not on the
> Geronimo PMC.
> Adding ServiceMix is just another 4 (17 total), as there is a huge
> overlap
> between ActiveMQ and ServiceMix.
>
> I have no idea how active any of these people are on any of the
> projects in
> any capacity.  Dims appears to feel that there is a large number of
> committers in name only, but I haven't looked at all so for the
> sake of
> discussion, let's assume that they are all active.  Adding ActiveMQ
> and
> ServiceMix to Geronimo could increase the size of Geronimo's
> community from
> 26 to ~40, and assuming a comparable ratio, the PMC from 19 to 30+.
>
> So is Geronimo prepared to take such actions?  Should it be, at
> this time?
> And what would that do for diversity, since a lot of people appear
> to work
> for the same company?

As a Geronimo PMC member, my current feelings on granting commit and
pmc membership fall into three categories: existing G committers,
active committers and inactive committers.  Existing G committers are
a non issue.  Active committers should absolutely get commit access
to G and assuming they remain active during the incubation period
(several committs) they should be added to the G pmc.  Inactive
committers should not get added to the PMC.  As for commit, I think
this is a case by case basis.  If the person committed major work in
the past, I give them commit, on the other hand if they only
committed one file, I wouldn't give them commit.  The difficult
decisions will be in the middle, and I will look for guidance from
AMQ and SM on these people.

As we begin to discuss the final graduation of these projects into
Geronimo, I may be convinced of another set of guidelines.

-dain