incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ and ServiceMix reports
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:39:49 GMT
> I'm convinced - this definitely seems like a very good reason to have
> inactive committers following an incubated project through to either
> TLP stage, or into another TLP, but not being on the PMC. I'd be less
> convinced on a project that wasn't previously open so that there was
> no way to know if committers had previously contributed; but for open
> source projects who join the incubator this is a  great point.

Jackrabbit is a fairly good and recent example.  A bunch of people
dropped off the Jackrabbit PMC roster submitted to the Board because
they themselves stated that they weren't active and should be
emeritus.  Note that a critical difference perhaps from what you're
stating, I believe, was that the Jackrabbit folks were given the
choice to go emeritus and explicitly took up that offer - with the
understanding that they can re-join the PMC at any time.

The key may have been stressing that choosing to go emeritus is a very
very reversible action later on.  (Not making that a reversible action
was the fracas that Ant ran into.)  -- justin