incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Incubation Process and PPMCs
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:24:45 GMT
On 3/13/06, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@golux.com> wrote:
> > -1.  +1 to encourage 3+ to mentor, but it's not worth having folks
> > step up to mentor a project simply because 'they need three' -
> > quoting Justin's thoughts - with which I wholeheartedly agree.  We
> > don't need body counts, we need dedicated mentors.
>
> And we need enough for some objectivity, too.  One mentor is
> not enough, IMHO -- insufficient oversight.

If an ASF member says that they are going to be the Mentor, then I
fully expect them to perform the oversight responsibilities
impartially - and if they say that they can do it by themselves, then
I'll believe that until proven otherwise.  We're talking about a group
of people who have distinguished themselves over a long period of time
as knowing how to participate in an open-source project.

Now, I have no problem with recommending or encouraging multiple
mentors - but if we have a member who says that project Foo is a great
idea and no one else is inclined to mentor it, I don't think it should
be the reason to decline the podling.  For stdcxx, I think it's great
that we have two mentors: myself and Bill can keep an eye on things.
It eases the burden significiantly on the two of us.

However, I just don't think we should make multiple mentors mandatory
because this argument conflates the problem with mentors not
fulfilling their duties.  If a Mentor isn't being responsive, then
that's a different story entirely.  However, I'm willing to give ASF
members the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're getting
into.  -- justin