incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@apache.org>
Subject Process for becoming a mentor
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:01:18 GMT
Hi,

Just poking around the incubator site and I see a responsibilities page
for Mentors which is good but I don't see any criteria for being a
mentor. But I think starting with three simple ones would be a start:

1) Active interest in the project being mentored
2) Commitment to future involvement
3) Discussion with the project to see if there is a good fit and get the
buy in of the folks on the project

With those ideas in mind there are three projects would like to mentor:
OpenEJB, ODE, and ActiveMQ.

OpenEJB:
1) I don't use J2EE but I have helped with the conversion of OpenEJB to
Maven2 and it's an interesting build problem given how it works with
Geronimo.
2) I will help with the Maven2 build in the future and might actually
use OpenEJB v3 when it's decoupled from Geronimo :-)
3) I've talked to David Blevins and he interested

ODE:
1) I've started trying to integrate ODE into some applications I'm
developing
2) I would like to throw away all the workflow engines I've half started
and use ODE for many of the Maven-centric applications which require
management of development processes
3) I've talked briefly with James but would like some agreement from the
other ODE folks whom I've never met

ActiveMQ:
1) ActiveMQ has been integrated into a distributed version of Continuum
(thanks to the GBuild project in Geronimo)
2) ActiveMQ will continue to be used in Continuum and I am actively
trying to move the GBuild code into Continuum proper  now so there will
be a long term relationship there
3) I've talked to James and Hiram and they are interested

At any rate I would like to be a mentor for these projects so what do I
do from here? I think it's important that mentor's justify their
position and I think have done so above and so does the Incubator PMC
approve a mentor for a project? I assume that's voted on like everything
else but don't see that anywhere in the process of becoming a mentor.

Thanks,

Jason van Zyl