incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Incubation Policy -> "Acceptance of Proposal by Sponsor"
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:29:05 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm resurrecting the thread that fell off into /dev/null after
>>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3cf470f68e0603091122m65e764f7k204e1cb12271f5cd@mail.gmail.com%3e
>>
>>So this sentence in
>>http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Acceptance+of+Proposal+by+Sponsor
>>doesn't match current reality and confuses TLP sponsors who think they
>>need to wait for an Incubator PMC vote:
>>

>>>The Incubator PMC MAY immediately accept the Candidate, or may (at the discretion
of the Incubator PMC) require a successful VOTE by the Incubator PMC.

>>Here are a couple replacement suggestions that give the Incubator PMC an
>>opportunity to voice any objections:

[snip]

> a+b.  =)
>
> How about following the board's system for acknowledging new PMC members:
> 1. PMC *chair* of Sponsor sends in notification to general@incubator.
> 1. Any Incubator PMC member can then send an ACK and start a 72hr clock.
> 2. If any PMC member says "hold" before 72hrs are up, a formal
> discussion/vote is then conducted.
> 3. If no PMC member has any negative comment at the end of 72hr clock,
> then the PMC chair can commit the status file and 'start' the podling.
>
> How does that sound?  -- justin

I committed pretty much what Justin wrote, but worked in some wording
from http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc . Also, instead of "the
PMC chair can commit the status file and 'start' the podling', I put
"the status file may be committed and the podling started" -- once
approved, is there any reason for a mentor on that project to not commit
the status file?

 -jean