incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [POLICY] Lazy account creation [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenJPA as an Incubator Podling]
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:24:26 GMT

robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> What we'll probably do is run it like we're running Harmony.  The list
>> of committers on the proposal are the people we expect to show up, but
>> we won't be creating accounts by default - we'll need to have each
>> person say "yes, I'm ready and will be contributing immediately" before
>> making the account for them.
>
> this seems a useful tradition: is it too early to codified this into policy?

I think so.  One problem is that it places special status on some people
that others don't have, once you get rolling.

So n months into the project, if one of the listed people pops up and
gets working, fast-tracking commit might make others that have been
working in the project (and don't have commit) unhappy.

Maybe the solution is a well-codified policy with some time limit, so
that it doesn't seem arbitrary and capricious.

geir