incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:48:19 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Alan,
> There is something going on that i can't really put my finger on.
> - The large # of committers who don't really commit

This is a perennial issue w/ incubation, IIRC.  Do we give commit to all
original committers and take it away from inactive ones or do we go the
route of Ode and make the initial committer set small.  Personally, I
like the latter but that would cut out people like Brian, who doesn't
write crappy code.  ;)  Maybe there's a written policy in the incubator
on this.  I think that this is a topic worthy of a separate discussion.

FWIW, of the 20 who actually have karma, 15 have committed code so far.
Most of the remaining 5 work on Geronimo and have committed work in the
past when we integrated AMQ into Geronimo.
> - The presence of ActiveCluster/ActiveIO which were separate projects
> in codehaus (is the active cluster code inside the milestone? i don't
> see a separate jar).

These are two small libraries used in AMQ that don't warrant their own
project.  The original founders of those projects had big aspirations at
the time they were formed at the CodeHaus a few years back.  If they had
known what was in store for their future, maybe it would have been done
differently.  Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

> - The constant unrelenting pressure to make activemq part of Geronimo
> so that all the 27 people become Geronimo committers

I'm on the fence on this one.  I just would like to see AMQ graduate,
soon.  If it's a TLP, great.  If it's a sub-project, fine.  If ACLs are
created so that these committers stay in their sub-project pen, that's
cool too.  At Geronimo, we don't jealously guard membership to the
committer table; any motivated competent person is welcome to the
table.  These people have worked hard on AMQ and are competent coders.

I want to point out that I don't see 27 committers, I see 20.  When I
look at the list of committers I see that a large chunk, almost half,
already are Geronimo committers.

> - The lack of discussion on say the OpenWire stuff. I see one status
> email[1] that's it. the other 26 people don't seem to have any opinion
> on it. Are people talking offline?

OpenWire has been around for a long time, way before incubation, so most
of the development issues were worked out a long time ago.   You'll see
bursts of traffic about it as people add new language bindings.
However,  I see a lot of discussion about it this month.  A large bulk
of the communication on the AMQ list is about OpenWire C/C++.

> - People commenting on the silence on the dev mailing list.[2]

Probably IRC.  It's a bad addictive habit that should be stomped out,
but it happens everywhere, not that that's an excuse.   You'll notice
that the email is about OpenWire.  It also seems that our email activity
is on a par with other graduated projects.

> Somehow all of this is making me queasy...

Get some sleep!  ;)  (Some of you may not know that Dims has been
recently blessed w/ a new baby)

There are some good points here on where we can improve.  Thanks for the
detailed list.  I'm glad to see that you are consistently expending a
lot of effort in this.  The amount of time that you have spent scrubbing
the subversion logs and reading the email archives really sets you apart
from the rest of the Apache community.  It really makes a big
difference.  Would you consider being one of our mentors?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message