incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Incubation Policy -> "Acceptance of Proposal by Sponsor"
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:10:44 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm resurrecting the thread that fell off into /dev/null after
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200603.mbox/%3cf470f68e0603091122m65e764f7k204e1cb12271f5cd@mail.gmail.com%3e
>>
>> So this sentence in
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Acceptance+of+Proposal+by+Sponsor
>> doesn't match current reality and confuses TLP sponsors who think they
>> need to wait for an Incubator PMC vote:
>>

>>> The Incubator PMC MAY immediately accept the Candidate, or may (at the discretion
of the Incubator PMC) require a successful VOTE by the Incubator PMC.

>> Here are a couple replacement suggestions that give the Incubator PMC an
>> opportunity to voice any objections:
>>
>>  a) Sponsor may proceed with podling creation if the Incubator PMC
>> raises no issues within three days.
>>
>> - or -
>>
>>  b) Sponsor may proceed with podling creation after the Incubator PMC
>> acknowleges the request.
>>

> a+b.  =)

We're talking about two PMCs so I've made it a little more explicit:

How about following the board's system for acknowledging new PMC members:
1. The *chair* of the Sponsoring PMC sends in notification to general@incubator.
2. Any Incubator PMC member can then send an ACK and start a 72hr clock.
3. If any Incubator PMC member says "hold" before 72hrs are up, a formal
discussion/vote is then conducted.
4. If no Incubator PMC member has any negative comment at the end of 72hr clock,  then the
Sponsor PMC chair can commit the status file and 'start' the podling.

I have a concern about item 2.  It has been my experience that the Incubator PMC can be a
bit tardy in replying to emails.  May I suggest that the 72 hour window starts w/ item 1?
 Given that, then item 2 seems superfluous.

My next concern is in regard to 3.  It implies that if the Incubator PMC does not positively
vote for the incubation, then it does not get incubated.  IIUC, the Incubator PMC cannot block
the start of the incubation of a project that has been sponsored by another PMC.  Maybe that
changed, I may have missed that exchange.

If my understanding is correct, I propose:

1. The *chair* of the Sponsoring PMC sends in notification to general@incubator.  At that
time a 72 hour clock starts.

2. If any Incubator PMC member says "hold" before 72 hours are up, a formal
discussion is then conducted with the goal of consensus.  In the unfortunate circumstance
that a consensus cannot be built, the Sponsoring PMC is free to proceed to start the podling;
this should only be done in extreme cases.

3. If no Incubator PMC member has any negative comment at the end of 72 hour clock,  then
the Sponsor PMC chair can commit the status file and 'start' the podling.

Regards,
Alan