incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Incubation Process and PPMCs
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:36:42 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> -- We should require 3+ Mentors for each project
>
> -1.  +1 to encourage 3+ to mentor, but it's not worth having folks
> step up to mentor a project simply because 'they need three' -
> quoting Justin's thoughts - with which I wholeheartedly agree.  We
> don't need body counts, we need dedicated mentors.

And we need enough for some objectivity, too.  One mentor is
not enough, IMHO -- insufficient oversight.

>> -- Upon acceptance, we should establish the initial PPMC as
>> consisting of the Mentors.
>
> --1 - worst idea of the thread.  You can't teach new project members
> to become project managers if you exclude them from the oversight and
> management of their own project.  You graduate them to TLP status and
> they look around without a -clue- how to solve problems.

Um, I don't think Noel meant that the PPMC *remains*
consisting of just the mentors, but that they're the
bootstrap code for it.

>> -- Upon project acceptance, we should immediately create the
>> $podling-ppmc@incubator.apache.org mailing list.  Or -private if
>> there is a consensus to switch to that nomenclature.
>
> That's what we do today, AUIU.

Well, there are podlings with no PPMC, much less a PPMC mailing list.
(Or were; that may have been corrected by now.)

>> -- vote on other PPMC members (only those on the Incubator PMC have
>> binding votes)
>
> NO.  The entire Incubator PMC have binding votes, and ratify the
> decisions made by the podling ppmc.

Bleah.  I think you've misinterpreted Noel again.  Only those
*on the PPMC* who are also on the IPMC have binding votes.
So more IPMC members join the PPMC, more binding votes.

Ever hear of delegation?  The IPMC can obviously (well,
obvious to me) override PPMC decisions, but should *not* be
involved in them day-to-day.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"