incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Umbrellas, Federations, and Communication
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:43:10 GMT
Echoing robert...

inline

Matthieu Riou wrote:
>> One of thing things that the we need to look at is how to improve
>> communication across projects.  Perhaps having some ontological mailing
>> lists would be part of a solution.
>>
>> What ideas and views do others have?
>
> I know that mailing-lists are part of the foundation of the ASF and
> are a really useful way to communicate effectively. However my feeling
> is that we don't have the right tools or policies to use them as
> effectively as could be. For example, as a commiter, I find it
> extremely annoying that I have to subscribe to a mailing-list just to
> post a message on it. Also most archives aren't really user-friendly.
> Not being able to do a simple search on ALL mailing lists is for me a
> major drawback.
>
> So I'd suggest (if possible) the following ideas:
>   * Give any commiter the necessary rights to send an e-mail on any
> mailing list without having to subscribe.

It's not a rights issue, but simply a mechanical issue of how the lists
work.  Maybe there is a post-ok-don't-send mode.  Or maybe we could cook
up a gateway for committers  listname-gateway@apache.org or something...

>   * Provide fully searchable mailing-list archives.

Hey! thanks for volunteering! :)

> I think this would help reducing the boundaries between each project
> as any commiter would be able to comment and participate to a specific
> discussion on any project.

Well, back in Jakarta's heyday, the general list was the meeting place
for all the subprojects.  It was a lot of fun.

I'm not sure we could do that on an apache-wide scale though.  Part of
the fun was because we knew each other, and that there was a topic
domain that was narrow, but broad enough to span Jakarta.

> And I'd simply define a few search criteria
> that I'm interested in and check these once a while on all list
> archives.

Hey!  Thanks for volunteering!

:)

Maybe we should subscribe all apache mail lists to one google account
and figure out how to have a web site proxy searches into it...

geir