incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:48:55 GMT

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> So we agree that we allow the current proposed committer list as-is,
> but when we look at graduation from the incubator we examine test case
> and documentation as well as the product source code itself, because
> by bringing these people in as committers through the incubator, the
> OpenJPA team commits to working on test cases and documentation as
> much as product code?

I certainly still believe that we bring the committer list as proposed,
with any further additions by the Apache community.

However, I absolutely don't believe that at graduation we need to
closely examine the assets of the project to make some judgment about
individuals as committers.  Can you imagine if we judged all source?
("Hey, you overuse Singletons, and quite frankly, I perfer XMLBeans over
JAXB.  You don't do enough javadoc, and your spelling stinks...")

Why?  Because (to me, anyway) the point of incubation is figuring out
how to work as a meritocratic community of peers, and learning how (as
the PPMC) to govern the project in the Apache fashion, to know our IP
rules and processes, etc.

If I believe that those high-level things have been achieved, I
therefore must extend trust to the mature podling that they have the
low-level, detailed issues of committer participation, code, docs, test
cases, and others reasonably well in hand.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message