incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Open JPA
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:26:05 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> Mhmm, I have one major problem with this (as much as with Cayenne),
> and this is that IMO we (will) have too much ORM engines in Apache
> (with JPA and Cayenne it will be 6 or 7 ?) with little to no
> cooperation (esp. on the code level) between the ones already here. So
> in short, there is no focus and much duplication. Not to mention that
> OJB is planning to add EJB3 persistence (as it happens, done by me - I
> was going to start in May).
> That being said, I think there is a big case for bringing it to DB
> (with much the same arguments as for Cayenne) and for starting a joint
> effort of unifying these projects as much as this is possible/useful
> (e.g. it does only make sense so much to unify JDO and OpenJPA/EJB3).

Is duplication really that bad?  So long as the communities are vibrant,
why should we care?  Also, have you factored in different requirements
and different implementation strategies for the projects in your list of
duplications?  I've always liked the idea of software Darwinism.  Many
different exciting ideas with the community deciding which ones are the
good ones.

IMHO, having unified projects stifles that diversity.

Regards,
Alan