incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Process for becoming a mentor
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:33:29 GMT
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:01:18AM -0800, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Just poking around the incubator site and I see a responsibilities page
> for Mentors which is good but I don't see any criteria for being a
> mentor.

I think we don't have very "general ones" for those, probably since its hard
to agree on (I don't think I fully agree with the list you made, for example).
Special casing things is much easier, like so...

> OpenEJB: <snip/>
>
> ODE: <snip/>
>
> ActiveMQ: <snip/>
>
> At any rate I would like to be a mentor for these projects so what do I
> do from here?

Since you're an ASF member and the relevant communities sound willing from
your descriptions, what you do is sign up to the relevant mailing lists
and get going! :-)

I guess that these projects need to somehow communicate to the incubator that
they want you as a mentor (in general its pretty much been along the lines of
a "we need help" message to this mailing list followed by a "here is help"
message from a new mentor followed by a "cool" message followed by a "you're
now an incubator pmc member, please subscribe to the pmc list" message from
the incubator VP to the new mentor).

> I think it's important that mentor's justify their position

Really? Want to expand on that? I've previously assumed its implicitly
something like "I have some idea of what I need to do and I'm willing to help"
and coupled with consensus along the lines of "this person can help us" it is
"enough"...

> and I think have done so above and so does the Incubator PMC
> approve a mentor for a project? I assume that's voted on like everything
> else but don't see that anywhere in the process of becoming a mentor.

Yeah I guess its badly documented, most of it all is focussed on what the
responsibilities of a mentor are...I suspect because we've only been in
situations where we didn't have "enough", and also because it often makes
sense to have ASF members as mentors (for example they have access to
various relevant info which is otherwise private) and the idea is that those
should be trusted to know what they're getting themselves into :-)

As long as there is consensus among the involved projects (I'm not too sure
what the current "community organisation" is for the projects you mention,
but I think there's a dev list by now for most of them) all the incubator
PMC has historically done is welcome you aboard...

cheers!

Leo