incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:23:44 GMT
Noel,

Our goal when starting the incubation process of ActiveMQ, OpenEJB,
ServiceMix, WADI, and XBean, was to consolidate the Geronimo
community.  The vision was to have a single community focused on
building a modular server architecture based on a single core.  The
global deliverable would be Geronimo the J2EE server, but each of the
sub projects would be deliverable as a standalone (basically the core
with one plugin installed).  This is what we pitched to the external
projects and what they agreed to.

Just to make sure this was allowed, before pitching it to the
communities, I asked a few of the Board members at Euro OS con and
they said it was possible.  I didn't want to get into a situation
where we do all of the work to uproot and move exiting communities
and then end up with just a bunch of separate TLPs because of some
unknown apache rules.  Now it seem like that is exactly what will
happen.

We (the communities) want to form a single community focused on this
goal, are you saying that this is not possible anymore?    If this no
longer the case, I think we have an obligation to inform the
incubating communities, so they can decide if they want to continue
incubation and become an Apache TLP or go back to where they were.

-dain