incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Stein, Neil S" <neil_st...@merck.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:02:15 GMT

Great,  thanks for the details.

-neil

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Wed 2/15/2006 5:57 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

The current guidelines are simply to avoid clashes, adn that guideline
cited the nameprotect.com utility which is now a pay-for-use facility.

I personally find googling a project far more useful, and there appear
to be no conflicts with your new proposal, other than the fact that another
project, Echo, seems to have floated the same potential name.  As long
as we clarify with them that they haven't/won't adopt that project name
we should be fine.

The end goal is little to no ambiguity when someone googles a given ASF
project, after hearing something about it that attracts their interest.
We don't want any project to be lost in the noise.

Bill

Stein, Neil S wrote:
> hi -- I guess I am a little confused.  It is very possible that any name can fall into
an area that may conflict.  Are the guidelines or a branding process for new projects?

Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or
its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp
& Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted
and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named
on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.