incubator-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] approve a milestone release of ActiveMQ?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:12:42 GMT

> James Strachan wrote:

<snip>

> How should the disclaimer be associated?
>
> Well, this is a bit of an issue.  Why are the plain jars available?  To
> allow automated downloads by Maven?  I have an issue with that, since it
> could allow people to use the code without knowing that it is in the
> Incubator, but more to the point, we've had that discussion, and I don't
> recall the resolution.

jars are widely distributed these days (through the maven repository and
elsewhere) so IMHO this is a wider issue than just activeMQ.

the NOTICE file should be included in the jar (as well as the LICENSE).
perhaps it would be a good idea for all incubator releases to include a few
words in the NOTICE file indicating that it's an incubator release. for
example:

"This product includes software developed by

This product includes software released during incubation
at The Apache Software Foundation."

in addition, perhaps the MANIFEST could indicate that this is an incubator
release. for example:

Implementation-Vendor: Incubator@Apache Software Foundation

(rather than Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation as is
standard)

i'd probably also favour indicating the status in the name of the jar so
incubator-xxx-1.0.jar rather than apache-xxx-1.0.jar.

- robert