incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bill Flood <bill.f.fl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:02:42 GMT
It would seem better to think of the (human) workflow in a different scope
as we disect the problem.  There are all kinds of issues in Workflow with
forms, etc. that have little to do with the actual orchestration or even
BPEL.  Brings to mind MVC.

It might make sense to divide the problem space like this:

Human workflow | BPEL
Orchestration Engine

Likewise, human workflow could be built on BPEL I suppose but there are
other languages that might be mapped into an engine as well.  At any rate,
keeping the human workflow out of the engine scope is probably worth
thinking about.

I tend to think of BPEL as a languge for describing orchestration and not in
terms of an engine built for BPEL.  BPEL is a subset of a broader set of
orchestration patterns.  There is plenty of academic literature to support
that notion.  If one supports the patters up front, one can implement BPEL.
Presumably, there is a use case and implementation relationship both ways so
one can do debugging and so forth.