incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:53:24 GMT
On 3 Feb 2006, at 15:38, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> James Strachan wrote:
>>
>> To use an analogy from Geronimo. You can reuse the Transaction
>> Manager inside Geronimo by itself without anything else from
>> Geronimo. Everything developed within the Geronimo PMC is modular;
>> you can use what you like. Modularity and reuse is a given on all the
>> Geronimo projects I'm aware of (which is most of it).
>
> You can download just the parts you want?  Or do you have
> to download the whole thing and only *use* the parts you
> want?  If the latter, can you throw away the parts you
> don't need, or do you need to have them around?
>
> As an example, is the TM a single jar, or part of another?

The TM is in a single download-able jar all by itself; so you can
download only what you need. e.g. here's the latest snapshot of just
the transaction manager...
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/geronimo/jars/geronimo-
transaction-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

We use the same approach in ServiceMix; we make lots of small modular
jars for the parts you need. e.g. here's the JBI component for
working with Tuscany...
http://svn.apache.org/repository/incubator-servicemix/jars/servicemix-
sca-3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

James