incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Initial draft of committer policy
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:39:58 GMT
Hi all,

We are getting to the point of needing to grant commit privileges for
some of the projects at OSAF.  This is a first cut  at describing how
the process should work for code committers.   In the future we will
probably extend this notion to design contributors as well, but we
are still trying to figure out what that means.   What you see here
is similar to the process used by Apache and many other large open
source projects.

As usual questions, comments, critiques and other feedback are very
welcome.

Ted

---------
Participants in OSAF projects can take on a number of roles

Users are people that use our software.  We hope that they will
contribute to the project they use by reporting bugs and making
erquests for features.  We also hope that they will become part of
the project community, by helping other users and telling other
people about our software

Contributors are people who contribute to one ofthe projects via
design, code,  documentation, or testing.   Contributors are active
participants in the project mailing lists and provide design ideas,
code changes, or documentation changes.

Code contributors may also become committers - They have write access
to the source code repository, and have signed a Contributor License
Agreement (CLA).

* Becoming a committer

If a code contributor has contributed a significant number of high-
quality patches, is interested in continuing to contribute to the
project, and has demonstrated the ability to work well with other
contributors, then an existing committer may propose granting that
contributor commit access.

Discussion of a potential new committer will initially take place in
private (at the moment we have no private lists for this purpose).
After this initial vetting discussion, the actual vote can occur on
the project's public developer list.  This practice of a private
discussion followed by a public, pro-forma vote is a <a href="http://
incubator.apache.org/learn/newcommitters.html">best practice</a>
adopted from the Apache Software Foundation.  Only votes cast by
existing committers are binding.

After the new committer has been voted in, they must sign a
Contributor License Agreement (CLA).  Once this document is on file,
the IT Staff at OSAF will create the necessary accounts, etc.