incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:43:58 GMT
I guess I was just reacting to the complete dismissal by Noel.  In
the middle of a vote on the Geronimo PMC, we get a message that
effectively the Incubator has stepped in and has take over this
proposal.  Now, stop and wait before responding to that statement and
let me explain.  The normal process, as I understand it, for a new
podling is a proposal is posted to a some dev list saying, "I'd like
to start a project in the incubator to create X, are you willing to
sponsor it?"  The PMC evaluates it and votes.  This normal process
was interrupted by Noel simply stating that the Incubator has decided
to sponsor it.  There was no public discussion and this proposal was
never even presented to the Incubator PMC for sponsorship.  I have
never seen this happen before and it came with a very dismissive note
(my reading).

I find it very frustrating that in my mind the policies and
procedures in the incubator keep changing.  When I point this out I
get accused of various things such as "protecting turf".  Greg, I can
understand why you see it that way, but I am simply trying to follow
policy, precedent and the Apache Way.  Anyway, no need to respond,
I'm just frustrated.

I'm going to try to stay out of the rest of this discussion, but
before I go, I suggest that ALL of you go back to your open source
roots and reexamine this whole situation.  There are a very few
people in this discussion that actually want to work on a BPEL engine
or integrate it into a project.  If your not one of them, take a step
back and let the community decide how they want to handle the code.
If the want to work together, we should support them.  If the don't
want to work together and decide to fork it into three competing
projects, we should support them.  If they want to hard code in
dependencies on any technology, we should support them.  If they want
to rewrite it in COBOL, we should support them.  They are the
community and we should support them.

-dain

/me crawls back under his flame proof rock