incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:43:59 GMT
On 3 Feb 2006, at 23:14, David Jencks wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out the issues here.  As I understand Sybase
> wants to donate the code and keep working on it in a community
> larger than the Sybase developers working on it :-)
>
> It seems to me that depending where the code comes into Apache
> different groups of people get to work on it from the start:
>
> -- incubator headed to top level project.  IIUC basically any
> apache committer including all the servicemix developers and
> perhaps others can join the project basically by saying they want to.
>
> -- incubator headed to separate geronimo component.  IIUC geronimo
> committers can join the project easily, others less easily.
>
> -- incubator as part of servicemix.  IIUC servicemix developers
> join with sybase developers.  It's harder for others to join.
>
> I'm not quite sure I've interpreted everything correctly but I
> think that some people from apache ws are interested in working on
> this project.  If the above is accurate then incubator headed
> towards top level project would most easily result in the largest
> community.  Conversely the "part of servicemix" option gives the
> appearance of potentially excluding people who want to contribute.

I just  wanted to jump in there. We've already got a large and
diverse group of commiters in ServiceMix and we are very open to new
contributions; our arms are wide open - we are not excluding people.
I don't think there is any difference in easy or exclusion in any of
the options you propose to folks wishing to join in and contribute.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/