incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne ASF Proposal
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:06:48 GMT
Hi Jim,

On Feb 27, 2006, at 6:51 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Thanks for the proposal. It's best to submit the proposal
> itself to the list, and provide a URL as backup, but
> that's no problem.

Yeah, I overlooked this requirement. Leo screen-scraped the text from
Wiki and sent it to this list already.

> IMO, this looks like a very worthwhile proposal, but I
> would consider that this may likely be best under
> db first, with movement to TLP sometime after that,
> at least at this stage. I am also curious about the
> comparison between this and Torque, and if you
> have any thoughts about that, regarding any potential
> impacts or conflicts within the ASF space.

Can't compare us with Torque, as I am unfamiliar with it. From what I
know we are closer to OJB and JDO rather than Torque (but I can be
wrong on that). I don't see a conflict with either of the three. We
just provide another way of doing object persistence, kind of like
Struts, Tapestry and MyFaces provide three different ways to
implement Java web layer.

We viewed DB as one logical possibility (so we first presented a
proposal to DB PMC). But there are arguments from both Cayenne and DB
communities that make us think that TLP is a better option:

1. Umbrella argument [that I don't fully understand; I guess it has
something to do with the history of other TLPs?]

2. Cayenne is a mature community-based project that has demonstrated
self-management abilities that we would like to preserve.

3. We have a number of subprojects that evolved around Cayenne core
that are not about database interaction -  there is a Swing widget
binding framework (and a GUI tool), there is an ability to do object
persistence and distributed object management via web services (aka
remote object persistence feature), etc. In other words Cayenne is
not DB centric; what's common in all the features above is that all
those are object [management|binding|persistence] services centered
around a single object model.

Andrus