incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: BPEL contribution from Sybase
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:42:58 GMT
I think ServiceMix is the perfect home for a BPEL engine.  Every JBI
implementation that I am aware of has and integrated orchestration
engine exposed via the BPEL specification.  I am not worried about
"barriers" to any committers,  "accidental too-tight binding" or
"UNrelated" mail on mailing lists.  All of these issues are worked
out every day on mailing lists at Apache. I am much more worried
about this donation falling into Apache politics that result in a
sausage project that no one wants to eat.

Sybase wants to donate to the service-mix community and the
ServiceMix community wants to work with the code.  Any contributor
will be welcomed by the ServiceMix community (as required by the
apache way), and *if* a large community develops that wants to split
off later they can (as is allowed by the apache process).  Right now,
I don't see this large community; all I do see is a few very grumpy
individuals.  If the webservice project really really want to control
this code, they can always fork it (as is allowed by the apache
process).

So: My recommendation is that the donation be accepted directly into
ServiceMix and we all move on to more important issues.

-dain