incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:01:40 GMT

On Feb 8, 2006, at 4:26 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 08.02.2006 09:48:39 Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On 2/7/06, David E. Jones <jonesde@ofbiz.org> wrote:
>>> Are there any guidelines about the size of a code contribution that
>>> would necessitate a license grant document?
>>
>> You would just need a CLA not a software grant form for each
>> contributor.
>
> That seems contradictory to what the IP clearance page says. Now I'm
> totally confused because that would mean we don't need that complex
> process of getting the software grant together for that contribution
> we're planning to integrate in Apache FOP because we have ICLAs on
> file
> for all three contributors.

The reason is that the Software Grant is a legal vehicles that
says "I/We own this software and we are granting it to
the ASF". So unless there is a legal entity that owns
the code, they cannot grant it to the ASF to allow us to
relicense it.

In that case, each person who ever committed a line of
code needs to submit a iCLA which allows their patches
(and therefore, once everyone has one on file, the
complete codebase) to be relicensed under the AL.