incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:37:15 GMT
On 17 Feb 2006, at 16:17, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> Thanks, James.  I appologize if I am being overly dense... :)
>
> So, to summarize my understanding:
>
> 1) JBI defines a number of services that are required to support
> process
> integration/service orchestration/what have you

It defines an API, component model and container of those services,
yes. The service implementations are separate things to be plugged
in. The ServiceMix project happens to define a whole bunch of
concrete JBI components too - together with a reusable container.

> 2) Those same same services will not be incorporated into Apache
> Ode proper

Yes - they are trivial to reuse without any code changes, once you've
integrated with the JBI API. Ode may have other services it wishes
too though.

> 3) In order to make practical use of Apache Ode, one would need to:
>       A) Deploy Apache Ode within ServiceMix
>       B) Deploy Apache Ode within some other JBI compliant container
>       C) Extend Apache Ode with needed services (which would be an
> initiative seperate and distinct from Apache Ode proper)

Yes.

Incidentally you could split A into 2 parts. You could deploy ODE as
a JBI deployment unit within ServiceMix, or you can just use the JBI
API without the whole container & deployment model if you wish. This
is analogous to making an EAR and deploying it in a J2EE container to
reuse MDB versus using JBI as a kinda 'JMS' API inside your process.

So there's a full container & deployment model if you want to use it
- but its completely optional in ServiceMix (you can use the
container and components as lightweight POJOs without using the
deployment model if you wish).

Its common in orchestration use cases to want to deploy a set of
BPELs together as a deployment unit. So the BPEL engine will be
deployed and running in an ESB (you may for backwards compatibility
reasons want to deploy 2 different versions of a BPEL engine in an
ESB at the same time; e.g. use a BPEL 1.1 and BPEL 2.0 engine for
different sets of business process).

Then you might want to deploy a new deployment unit of some BPEL
documents -  or at runtime deploy a new set or change the version of
the ones running. So being able to hot-deploy/undeploy bundles of
BPEL (or any other integration component configuration) together with
different versions of BPEL engine is very useful. Though you don't
have to use this model if you don't want -  you can just have one
single process wired together in a single classloader that you start/
stop.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/